Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sand

From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 89 14:22:15 BST
Subject: sand

walking to a restaurant for a late dinner friday night
the full moon shining through wracks of clouds
we passed one of these disused walls where the british
recordcompanies pay people to put up posters, motley
everchanging layer after layer of posters, new ones
each week covering the others

it was one of those things where
  you take a step with one foot
  and raise the other foot
  but then you see something and	<"Wow!">
    you don't step forward you
    reverse
    and put your foot back down
    and stare				<"Is that who I think it is?">

no words
no name
no symbols
not even a frame around the picture, just

	K	A	T	E

kneeling in the sand with a handful of sand letting it
trickle through her fingers looking up and off to the
right as if the sand is an offering   her hair very
dark and shadowing her face  in monochrome

and saturday and sunday in edinburgh
and monday in glasgow
more and more of the same eloquent wordless posters
each one causing my heart to skip a beat
or two

and then passing a closed edinburgh record store late last night
an album sized record jacket with the same picture only
with words

	KATE BUSH		THE SENSUAL WORLD

could it be early
has something good happened already