Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Gaffa"

From: Number 6 <grega@hp-ptp.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 89 14:57:49 pdt
Subject: "Gaffa"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I've seen so much about the word "Gaffa" that I just have to insert this
linguistic comment.  Having worked in a recording studio, the "sticky tape"
Kate refers to is called "Gaffer" tape -- it just sounds like "Gaffa" because
of her accent.

Interesting side-note: I remember years ago hearing an interview with ELP
(anyone remember ELP?).  Kieth mentioned that ELP used their own Gaffer tape
-- it actually had the initials "ELP" printed on the spool.  He thought that
that must be a sign that they'd made it in the industry, since only recording
proffesionals even knew what the stuff was.

|  Greg Anderson  |   hpdsla!grega    |        grega@hpdsla.HP.COM           |
| "I wish I'd drunk more champagne." - last words of Lord John Maynard Keynes|