Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vaughn Williams (was: Re: Mailbag)

From: David Shapiro <david@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 01:30:07 GMT
Subject: Vaughn Williams (was: Re: Mailbag)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8909141922.AA05969@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> IED writes:
[ ... ]
>Kate has
>also demonstrated a sophisticated awareness of the revivication of
>these scales as the bases of melody in the works of Vaughn Williams
[ ... ]
>_IV_ is extremely similar to Vaughn Williams's solo-violin part in
>_The_Lark_Ascending_; both are modally-based melodies.

Ooh, synchronicity!  I just got my first Vaughn Williams (Thomas
Tallis and Greensleeves).  The only other V. W. I've ever heard
is the English Folk Song Suite (for which I am still looking for
a good CD version).

Can anyone recommend, from a LoveHound's point-of-view, other Vaughn
Williams pieces?  Any specific recordings or artists to keep an eye
open for (especially on CD)?

Thanks bunches!