Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hounds of Love & Oh To Be In Love

From: Douglas MacGowan <MACGOWAN@NIC.DDN.MIL>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 89 13:50:59 PDT
Subject: Re: Hounds of Love & Oh To Be In Love

IED sez:

>Thematically, the song (Oh To Be In Love) seems to IED to be very
>similar to _Hounds_of_Love_, in that both seem to be about having
>fears of or misgivings about love.

Interesting.  I would consider them almost opposite of each other --
Oh To Be In Love expressing the desire for the perfect love, and
Hounds Of Love expressing the desire to run from anything resembling
love.

Speaking of which, anyone got any theories about the lines:

"Take my (your) shoes off and throw them in the lake,
 and I'll be two steps on the water"

I always thought this was a really neat image, but couldn't track it
to anything concrete.

In "The Snow Queen" by Hans C. Andersen, the heroine, Gerda, believing
that the river has taken her friend Kai, takes her red shoes off and
throws them into the water in an attempt to exchange them for Kai.
The shoes float off (the river rejects them), and Gerda has to go
through a lot more before finding Kai in the Snow Queen's palace.

Also "two steps" could be loosely interpreted as a dance step.

Of course, if ever asked, Kate would probably say - "Well, umm, it
doesn't mean much of anything, it just sort of fit the music..."

One month and counting....

Douglas MacGowan
MACGOWAN@NIC.DDN.MIL

-------