Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta

From: rar@Sun.COM (Rob Rosen - N/W Region Consulting)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 89 09:19:29 PDT
Subject: Re: Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8Z3GHcK00UhWQ0qGxN@andrew.cmu.edu> you write:
>Really-From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>

>Tony Levin was in Yoko Ono's band, I think back in 1980 ish.
>He played on several Carly Simon records, a Frida (ABBA)
>album and played with Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) on
>at least one soundtrack and something else.  He played with
>Robbie Robertson I think.  He played on  Pink Floyd's
>latest studio recording but didn't tour with Floyd.
>He played on some songs from two Roches recordings
>"The Roches" and "Keep On Doing".  He played on Bryan
>Ferry's "Boys and Girls" recording.  Being a studio-ish
>musician, I know but can't think of several other
>recordings he's played on.

	I'm not sure if he's on the recording but Tony Levin
(along with Steve Gadd) act as themselves, more or less, with
Paul Simon in the 'One Trick Pony' film.  Simon's character
(Jonah Levin) was actually named after Tony.  It's a pretty
good film.  Also, the keyboardsman in the film (I think his
name is Richard Treat but I'm not sure) later appeared on
Peter Gabriel's 'So' release playing piano on 'Don't Give Up,'
which all of you should know.

	Rob
	Rob Rosen 	Sun Microsystems, Inc.		Professional Services
     rar@sun.COM [Internet]     sun!rar [UUCP]     	415.781.8140
		What do you do when things go wrong?