Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: cjs@hotlf.att.com (Carol Jean Swanson)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 11:47:41 EDT

From: cotton@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (carol.jean.swanson)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Indie music - UK + US + OZ
Date: 29 Aug 89 15:47:34 GMT

> James, Stone Roses, Dinosaur JR, REM, Pixies, Wonderstuff,

GOOD GRIEF... Dinosaur JR takes the award of worst cover of the decade
with their version of THE CURE's Just Like Heaven.. I think it was
Just like Heaven.  It was so bad I had to put myself
of my misery and forget the entire bad experience.  They were so
out of tune...etc. I don't think I'll bother listening to
them again.

REM.  One of favorite groups.  Even despite their popularity
nowadays.  Album wise, I like Life's Rich Pagent the best.  And then
I like Murmur..  Green is good...But it *IS* musically different
from their earlier work.  Ofcourse, my opinion is
sure to change after I see them in concert next month.

Pixies... I saw them in concert with The Cure and Love and Rockets.
I like one or two of their songs.  But in general I find them
(yawn) boring.

Wonderstuff:  One of the best new bands I've listened to.  Their
lyrics are catchy, humorous, and delightfully original.  You have to
laugh when they sing "I didn't like you very much when I met you and
Now I like you even less." And "It's your Money I'm after Baby".  Grin
got alot of airplay in this area.

> Sugarcubes, man from delmonte, Violent Femmes, The Loft,

Sugarcubes:  Good, distinctive vocals.  The album had to grow on me though.
I didn't like it right off.

Violent Femmes:  First LP:  loved.  Original lyrics, fun tunes.  Great
party music.  Second LP:  Too country like for me.  Only a few outstanding
songs.  Third LP: Much like the first (Third Verse, same as the first),
except MUCH cleaner lyrics.  FAT
and Dating DAys have had airplay here (as well as Nightmares).  'I Wish
you were FAT.  I wish you were really really fat.  'Cause if you were
fat fat fat then you'd come back to me'

> Cocteau Twins, PWEI, Colourblind James Experience....etc..etc.

Cocteau Twins.  I love them like I do most of the rest of the
4AD bands (alas, but not all...).  I like Blue Bell Knoll LP.
I prefer Pink Opaque.  Think Sunbursting (If I recall this LP name
correctly) is the weakest of these 3.  If you like CT, try listening
to THIS MORTAL COIL.

BANDS to SEE in CONCERT:
24-7 Spyz:  Unbelievable.  Stage Diving at it's finest.   By the
lead singer.  These guys have lots of energy.... You won't be left
standing still.

Fetchin' Bones:  They also are an energic Band.  Not as impressive
as 24-7 Spyz...But good.

Tom Tom Club:  The Tom TOm Club learned their stage presence
well from the Talking Heads Tours.  If you like(d) the Talking
Heads in Concert and/or Stop Making Sense and you like the
more bassy beat of the TOM TOM club, you'll like the concert.

Just some opinions,
CAROL
cjs@hotlf.UUCP