Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Minimalism

From: portal!cup.portal.com!Henry_Burdett_Messenger@apple.com
Date: Tue, 22-Aug-89 13:47:31 PDT
Subject: Re: Minimalism

This is my first posting to this newsgroup -- let's see if my newsreader
can handle it...

In article <1211.3.2925.1> James G Britt writes:

> I like minimalist
> music. However, the only composers I
> know are Glass, Reich and Reilly.
> Could anybody let me know of some
> other composers and/or works?
>        Thank you!
>            James

One you probably haven't heard yet is David Borden. Let me quote from his
liner notes:

	...Incidentally, my own approach to repetative structures
	was influenced by Terry Riley's _In C_, NOT Steve Reich
	and Phil Glass as has been widely assumed by critics
	and audiences alike. I met both Steve and Phil in 1970
	and was encouraged by their wonderful work. I think they
	were surprised to find that my work was so stylistically
	close to theirs at that time. The main difference was in
	sound was that mine was a synthesizer ensemble (Mother
	Mallard, formed in 1968)...

He has at least three albums out:

	_Music for Amplified Keyboard Instruments_ on Red Records
	_Migration_ on Cuneiform
	_The Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Parts 9-12_ on
		Cuneiform

All these records contain parts of his extended work "The Continuing
Story of Counterpoint".
			- hbm
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on USENET
"I do remember one thing. It took hours and hours, and by the time I was
done with it, I was so involved I didn't know what to think."