Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Don't be mislead by copyrights.

From: JDTURN%UMASS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (Joe Turner)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 05:35:46 EDT
Subject: Don't be mislead by copyrights.

The STORY ON THE INSIDE OF THE GATEFOLD has a "(c) 1974 Peter Gabriel" on
it.  That copyright is not the album's copyright.  As I remember (I don't
have the LP or CD with me, tsk tsk!) the music is credited to all five of
them.  I know for a fact on the "Three Sides Live" credit for "In the Cage",
it specifically says "Gabriel/Banks/Hackett/Collins/Rutherford".

But above that -- the weakness of the third and fourth sides (to me, anyway)
supports what I read.  Sides one and two are 'in focus'; three and four
seem to blur a bit.  "The Light Dies Down on Broadway" feels like total
filler, rehashing the title song and then slowing it down horrifically.
Argue a case for "reintroducing a theme", but to me it happens at the wrong
place in the LP and with the wrong feel.  The rapids sequence gets
stretched out for far too long, and the ending itself - while suitably
mystical and enigmatic - says nothing.  Even "it" feels like a peice of
walking-out-of-the-theatre-honey-where's-the-restroom music.  Musically
3 and 4 are OK, but there's such a sudden shift in the lyrical aspect
that I must stand firm.

I'm certain that allegories can be made.  They are certainly valid.  The
original poster asked what GABRIEL had intended, and I think that my
information is correct vis a vis that particular question.  PG may have
come up with something in the meantime, but in 1973/1974, I think he was
on the needle with a vengeance.

If you can find the bootleg "Swelled and Spent", pick it up.  It's a fairly
decent recording of a "Lamb" show in its entirety, even with PG's spoken
intros to each "side".  (They actually performed it as a series of four
20-30 minute peices, with breaks inbetween for PG to explain the story)

In it's original conception, "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" was a nonsense
journey into the drug-addled brain of Peter Gabriel.  Face facts, chums!

Emphatically and immovably,
/joe

"if you think that IT's pretentious, you've been taken for a ride"