Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Sensual World/Dave Gilmour/Sam Brown

From: sco!scol!craig@ucscc.UCSC.EDU
Date: Wed Aug 16 17:12:39 1989
Subject: The Sensual World/Dave Gilmour/Sam Brown

[Should have posted this sooner, but I felt sure someone else would
 get there first...]

>From the September issue of the British magazine "Q":

"The Sensual World, Kate Bush's first new album in four years will
be released on October 16.  Produced by Bush and Del Palmer, the
album features contributions from Dave Gilmour, Nigel Kennedy,
Eberhard Weber, Davy Spillane, Alan Stivell and The Trio Bulgarka."

Now who's Alan Stivell?

Interesting to note the Dave Gilmour appearance - he's been getting
around a bit lately as a session artist (surely he can't need the
money!:-).  Another recent album which he features on is Sam
Brown's (daughter of "lovable cockney rock-'n-roller" Joe Brown)
"Stop!".  He plays guitar in inimitable style on two tracks,
although I have heard that they never actually met, with DG doing
his bit on tape in New York.  He was also on another album which I
bought recently, but I'm not too sure which one - might have been
Judie Tzuke's "Turning Stones".

I'm surprised I haven't seen any discussion of Sam Brown here - she
really has a hell of a voice, sometimes reminiscent of Toyah
Wilcox, sometimes very soulful in a Motown sort of way, and other
times just indescribable!  It's a brilliant album, and I can only
assume that (1) she gets no air-play in the US, or (2) the
arrangements are a little too "mainstream" for the elitist tastes
of Love Hounds! :-)

Anyway, enough digression.  Just 2 months more!  (I won't believe
it until I see it, though...)

			- Craig.
______