Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT and Danielle Dax

From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: 15 Aug 89 04:33:10 GMT
Subject: Re: KT and Danielle Dax
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: uucp@eddie.MIT.EDU

>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>
>One pair he played was Danielle Dax's "Hammerheads" and
>KT's "The Dreaming."  They do have kind of the same rhythm
>and droning quality.  The DJ said KT's song came first,
>so probably Dax got the idea from her.

Well, Dax not only got the idea from KT, but she got the rhythm track
as well, because "hammerheads" basically uses the rhythm from "The
Dreaming" pretty explicitly!  It's just sped up, that's all.  No
problem if you're into cutting tape loops on decent reel to reel decks
anyway, which Dax was.  Of course, she could've done it they way I did
it and just sampled the bugger, but this was back when samplers where
much more expensive.  If anybody wants any rhythm tracks isolated,
looped, sped up, mangled and/or otherwise toyed with, drop me a line
and we'll work something out.  I recall posting a message to love-hounds
eons ago where I told IED that 3 hours of nothing but the opening drum
passage from "Sat in Your Lap" would be phenomenally wonderful.  Well,
I did it, and I let it run for hours while I cleaned the apartment up
and boy did my head spin when I shut it off...

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I think quotes are very dangerous   |
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  things."  -- Kate Bush              |