Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Babooshka grammar

From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 89 13:30:57 PDT
Subject: Re: Babooshka grammar
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8908081522.AA19540@m.cs.uiuc.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
>
>I was listening to the Whole Story today and in the song Babooshka,
>I thought I heard Kate say
>
>		"She couldn't have made a worst move..."
>					  ----^
>
>which is grammatically incorrect (it should be worsE).
>
>		[..thinks he definitely hears..]
>              [..her sing "worsT" nevertheless..]

my guess is that it's "intentional erring", michael.  altho i
prefer to call it Artistic Liscense, myself.

i think kate uses this technique elsewhere--for example, in "breathing",
i could swear she sings, "my radar send me danger, but my instincts
                                   ^^^^
tell me to keep breathing."  ofcourse, this could also be attributed
to that zany british convention of considering something like radar
to be more than one thing, but who knows.

someone's playing debbie gibson in the parking lot--time to put on
my headphones and dream of sheep...

"that cloud is nothing but trouble."

-tracy
...!uunet!sco!tracyr,