Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wow! Lamb discussion? You could do a whole newsgroup on that!

From: JDTURN%UMASS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (Joe Turner)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 89 16:10:08 EDT
Subject: Wow! Lamb discussion? You could do a whole newsgroup on that!

> It's a big topic so I thought that I might suggest some subdivisions
> that could be tackled seperately (or in sets!).
>
> 1. Where does it take place?
> 2. Who is Rael?
> 3. What does it say that is important?
> 4. How much did the author intend to communicate and what "just came out"?
> 5. Who is John?
> 6. What is the Chamber of 32 Doors?  Why 32?
> 7. What are the allegories?  (ie Grand Parade = Capitalism.
>                              slippermen = how sex-drive controls actions).

Well, sad to say, the real truth of the matter is that no matter what you
read into it, "The Lamb" is basically a tour of Peter Gabriel In Heroin
Slumberland.  In fact, by the end of the recording process, the rest of
the band had to step in and finish up the writing of the 3rd and 4th sides
because PG was so strung out he practically couldn't function.

As near as I can tell, most of the imagery is drug-related.  "In The Cage"
is the most blatant, according to Heroin Users I Have Known.  The feeling
of shooting up can apparently feel like a warm sensation in your stomach
and you get VERY drowsy (called "nodding out", any secret smack users wanna
comment? (-: ).  Thus, "I've got sunshine in my stomach... ...and I can't
keep me from creepin' sleep".

So, it 'takes place' somewhere in PG's brain... Who is Rael?  Gabriel, maybe.
A side of his personality, maybe.  Maybe John and Rael are two sides of the
same person (PG).  The Chamber of 32 Doors means NADA (except to PG, maybe).
There are no allegories to the peice as a whole.  Don't read so much into it.
All through high school, I was firmly convinced that the LP MEANT SOMETHING
and that I was stupid and couldn't figger it out.  The best I ever got was
thinking that the whole idea was a joke; that Pete an' the gang were having
us on.. "Look, haha, it's a concept album, it's so complex and enigmatic,
it'll keep you sods awake all night trying to figure it out.."  My support
of this theme was the song "it"... "It's only knock and know-all, but I
like it"  The obvious pun on "rock 'n roll", and then the idea of "it's not
anything great, but I can enjoy it anyway".  If anything, the 'idea' of
the LP is that LP's don't NEED big 'ideas' to be enjoyable.  Just sit back
and enjoy the twisted storyline.... that's all I do now...

/joe

ps.  a better work of PG's to dissect is "Supper's Ready"... full of neato
religious allegory.. I'm firmly convinced it's all about the End of the
World....