Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Lamb

From: mtdca!gfd@att.att.com
Date: 8 Aug 89 16:15:39 GMT
Subject: The Lamb
>From: gfd@mtdca.UUCP (G.DEMAREST)
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.gaffa

Someone had made mention of the story of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
(never expected to see this discussion on the net!).

For those of you who don't know it, it is an double album by Genesis
with an accompanying story written by Peter Gabriel.  I think it came
out in 75.

This album is (in my opinion) one of the true masterpieces of rock
music.  This would be my only-recording-on-a-desert-island selection
without hesitance.  The music is just wonderful and the lyrics reach
deep down into the heart and beyond.

It's a big topic so I thought that I might suggest some subdivisions
that could be tackled seperately (or in sets!).

1. Where does it take place?
2. Who is Rael?
3. What does it say that is important?
4. How much did the author intend to communicate and what "just came out"?
5. Who is John?
6. What is the Chamber of 32 Doors?  Why 32?
7. What are the allegories?  (ie Grand Parade = Capitalism.
			     slippermen = how sex-drive controls actions).

If anyone is at all familiar with the works of Joseph Campbell, you
will be able to look at The Lamb in a totally different light.  It's
unfortunate that a myth as rich as this one is so hard to grasp for
some.  The richness lies in the metaphors; and my own feeling of the
value of works like these is that they tell more about the time than
reading all of the New York Times for that decade.

Now, if I may step down from the pulpit, I'll get back to work...

George