Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

IED is wrong, I think!

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 89 15:37:46 PDT
Subject: IED is wrong, I think!

       In an earlier article (which I'm afraid I don't have any more),
IED said he thought Kate's switch to CBS Records was a big mistake.
Could be.  He was annoyed that CBS is planning to release the new
album about a month after its British release, and said something
to the effect that EMI-America didn't do that sort of thing.  Well,
they did.

       (Most of what follows comes from _Kate Bush Complete_.)

       1) _The Kick Inside_ was released in Britain on Feb. 17, 1978.
Harvest released it here on March 25, and EMI-America rereleased it
on July 24.

       2)_The Dreaming_ was released in Britain on Sept. 13, 1982.  It
was released here on Nov. 13.  _Lionheart_ and _Never For Ever_ were
released even later here, on Jan. 23, 1984.

       3)_Hounds Of Love_ was released in Britain on Sept. 9, 1985.
I don't know exactly when it was released here, but it debuted at number
74 on the _Billboard_ magazine chart of Oct. 26.  Assuming about a three
week lag time for the numbers to go into the chart (I think that's
about right), HOL was probably released here around the beginning of
October.

      4)_The Whole Story_ was released in Britain on Nov. 10, 1986.
I remember checking Tower records in Mountain View every day around
then to see if it had arrived yet, so I know the LP didn't arrive here
until the middle of December, the cassette a week or two earlier.

      So I believe *all* of her albums were released in the US a month
or more after their British release dates.  In fact, I think it is
unusual for *any* artist to have simultaneous album releases on both
sides of the Atlantic.  Midge Ure's latest album, _Answers To Nothing_,
for example, was released in Britain about two months before it was
released here.

       Please don't flame me if I am wrong;  I'm just trying to
honestly say what I think is right.  I'd appreciate any comments
from anyone who knows differently.

Ed Suranyi
ed@das.llnl.gov