Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misKellaneous answers To misKellaneous quesTions

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 22:30:53 EDT
Subject: misKellaneous answers To misKellaneous quesTions
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)

> and the army dreamers video!  is that a *camera* i hear snapping
> when she blinks her eyes??  her originality is so delightful!

It's the sound of a rifle bolt being closed.

> From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)

> Let's move on to something more concrete.  Like, for instance, at
> the end of THE WALL, does Pink die?

I always thought he just went permamently bonkers, however I could be
wrong.  In the movie, at the end, there are people picking up peices
of a wall Pink was obsessed with.  Perhaps he blew up that wall and
himself with it.

> From: walt.cc.utexas.edu!erlkonig@cs.utexas.edu (Christopher North-Keys)

> I also wonder about the word "Murderer" in _Hello_Earth.  It this an
> accusation of her as-yet unborn children?  Is it this that brings
> her back?  (Does anyone have all this song written down?)

My impression has always been that Kate is calling the storm a
murderer.

> From: Randall Knowles Smith <rs5o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> I just stopped in at my local store, and saw issues #1 and #3 of a
> new comic, Media Starr I glanced through it, the story seemed
> uninteresting, so I didn't buy it--despite the fact that KATE WAS ON
> THE COVER!  The cover art consisted of drawings obviously made from
> Kate album covers and 7" sleeves.  According to a friend, #2 is
> straight out of The Dreaming.  The heroine of the comics (who, in an
> interesting sidelight, does not die at the end of any of the three
> comics) doesn't realy look like Kate at all, but the covers are
> almost exact duplicates.  Anybody seen these, or know what the story
> is?  Maybe it's legit, but I didn't see any Kate Kopywrights on the
> inside cover....

This comic was a three issue mini-series.  Indeed every cover is a
painting of Kate copied right off of a record cover.  The comic has
nothing whatsoever to do with Kate, nor is she ever mentioned in the
series.  The main character of the series is Nancy Starr (I think --
the last name is definitely right), but she looks nothing like Kate
Bush.  In issue number three, however, a character in the comic book
shows the camera issue number one of the series.  This cover does not
have Kate on the cover, but rather has Nancy Starr on the cover.
However, Nancy Starr is in precisely the same pose as Kate.

The covers were painted by someone other than the person who drew the
artwork for the series, so my conclusion is that the artists who drew
the comic wanted Nancy Starr to look like Kate (probably just because
they like Kate), but that the artist who did the interior artwork was
just too lame to draw Kate properly.  Either that or the artist who
did the cover pulled a fast one and drew Kate on the cover without
telling anyone else involved with the comic that that is what he was
doing.

I'm sure that the publishers of this series did not get permission to
put Kate on the cover.  I'm not sure of the legalities, but I doubt
that to sell a painting of a photo you need to get permission or to
pay any royalties.

> From: localhost!wlm@uunet.UU.NET (William L. Moran Jr.)

> Anyway, I noticed those small covers at the bottom, and I am
> transfixed by the one with the bow! What is this from, and where can
> I get this picture in a larger form?

The record cover with Kate wielding a bow is the single of "Running Up
That Hill".

More trivia answered later.