Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

> engaging.  and keeping in mind that in 1979, most concerts
> were musicians standing on the stage singing (save for a
> few colored lights, perhaps), i found her performance

Loved the rest of your review (I've got Whole Story, but have have yet
to see Hammersmith) but this just isn't true.  Pink Floyd were using
quite elaborate light shows in the late 60's (certainly more than "a
few coloured lights"), David Bowie had done the makeup bit in the
Ziggy era (circa '73 or so) and then the amazingly choreographed show
for the Diamond Dogs tour (before reverting to the all white light,
Brechtian theatre inspired look for the '76 Station to Staion tour),
The Mothers of Invention were using Theatre of the Absurd techniques
in their 1968 appearances at the Warwick Theatre in N.Y.C., etc., etc.

There have been and are still musicians whose artistic vision stops
with music and a straightforward performance (which is fine by me,
most people have enough trouble doing one thing, i.e. playing music,
well) but those of a more theatrical bent have been around for a
while.
--
#dan

Clever:         dbk@mimsy.umd.edu | "For I was rolled in water,
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  I was rolled out past the pier" - MoB