Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Goldmine review/Where are EPs Vol.2-?

From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)
Date: 14 Jul 89 15:49:08 GMT
Subject: Goldmine review/Where are EPs Vol.2-?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Really_Really_FROM: Larry J. Hernandez  Tandem Computers, Cupertino CA

Subj: Goldmine Boot CD review/Where are Volumes 2 through ? of the EPs?

This message is actually from Larry Hernandez, forwarded by Steve Williams
because Larry currently has no direct network connection.  Larry receives
rec.music.gaffa from me every day or so via internal company mail.
And now, Larry speaks:

Hi again Love-Hounds,

I received my new Goldmine yesterday, the Number One record
collector's magazine in the world (my own sincere opinion, plus it
might save me from being prosecuted for not securing reprint rights;
I'll take my chances), and while scoping through the small print for
someone trying to make a profit on The Tape so that I could send him a
death threat :-), I noticed a review of the recently-disKussed Kate CD
which someone mistook as a legit release.  Well, just in case you
still can't believe it, and might require independent verification,
here it is.  A note on the rating system: 5 stars (* * * * *) is
the highest rating that is given.

Review of Kate Bush - Live at Hammersmith 1979 (Compact Disk)
                      (Neutral Zone NZCD 89010)

>From Goldmine July 28, 1989 page 22/24 - By Bruce Eder
Copyright 1989 Krause Publications, Inc.  Reprinted without permission

   This bootleg CD, purportedly generated from France but pressed in
Korea, is the firt (sic) new Kate Bush CD product in two years.  It's
also more and less than what it seems -- the first 12 tracks are,
indeed, taken from the audio track of her 1979 Hammersmith concert
video.  But it is in stereo, and while the high-end is a little soft
and muted (not to mention noisy on the uppermost frequencies), the
sound has a healthy volume and probably holds up better in this format
than it does on a straight videocassette playback.  Indeed, the audio
may have been taken off of a laser videodisc.

   As bonus tracks, we get live 1988-era renditions of "Running Up
That Hill" and "Breathing," and a good transfer of Bush's contribution
to the movie She's Having a Baby, "This Woman's Work." (Alas, in
assembling this, the makers left off some of her other unanthologized
live EP and B-sides, not to mention her performance of "The Wedding
List" from The Prince's Trust Concert.)

   The CD captures the spaciousness of the halls in which these songs
were performed, and it is also very handsomely packaged, with beautiful
photos of Bush but little information, which is understandable. * * * * *

Larry continues:

Now, the next subject has to do with Volumes 2 through whatever of the
"Cathy Demos" EPs.  HAS ANYONE SEEN THEM YET??  I thought (and read in
L-Hs) sometime back that these were supposed to have been released
already (at least Vol.2), but I have *still* not received an immediate
call from any of the four separate bad people in three California
cities who would stoop to sell such wonderful, incredible music.

But you know, I now wonder if I would buy them anyway.  Now that I
can almost tell you where every single clack! and bump! and footstep
is on The Tape, I find that whenever I *do* listen to my Vol. 1 EP
(which is rarely anymore), I *miss* these "special" noises!!  I even
find that I'm grown so used to the hiss, that I miss *that*, too!!
Now is that Krazy, or whaT??  I think it's whaT.  AKT, Larry

Replies to:
Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve

(Mail to Larry H. will be forwarded same-day.)