Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ravens and the Tower of London.

From: microsoft!glenc@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Thu Jul 13 08:13:25 1989
Subject: Ravens and the Tower of London.

  Andrew Marvick asked about the reference to ravens in "Oh, England":

  I too wondered about the reference in Lionheart to ravens.  I had
  a chance to visit the Tower of London several years ago and
  behold there are ravens everywhere.  They actually keep a small
  collection of the somewhat ill tempered birds there.	The
  myth is that the Tower will crumble if ravens no longer grace
  the gounds.  As the Tower goes so goes England.  I stood on the
  small green lost in rapture (perhaps suspended in gaffa), watching
  the birds, playing the song through my mind.	The locals must have
  thought me quite daft.

  Thanks .... Glen Clark .... uunet!microsoft!glenc
  " ... Since none puts by the curtain I have drawn for you but I ... "