Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Comments on a Kate CD-boot requested

From: Lazlo Nibble <csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 89 01:51:17 MDT
Subject: Re: Comments on a Kate CD-boot requested

>> Me
>  Tim Maroney

>> Comments are requested on the CD-boot "Kate Bush Live At Hammersmith".
>
> I think you already know how I feel about knowingly buying a bootleg,
> so I'll leave that issue alone.

In general, I agree with you . . . but since I already own a
(legitimate) copy of the concert video I don't see *too* much of a
moral problem with buying this disc (aside from the obvious fact that
someone else is unauthorizedly making money off Kate's work).

> My question is, is this a bootleg? . . . There is not a hint of
> amateurism or knock-off about the whole package.  I haven't seen any
> other CD bootlegs, but the LP bootlegs I've seen were generally pretty
> shoddy in packaging and bore no traceable identifying marks.

I agree that it's a slick package, but the store where I saw this disc
also had a Neutral Zone release of Prince's _Black Album_ on CD, and I
think we're all aware of the legal status of *that* disc.  There were
also about a dozen other NZCD's that were obviously bootlegs -- live
Led Zep and G'n'R, for example, as well as *lots* of live Beatles
stuff.  Neutral Zone are clearly bootleggers, and this disc is
*definitely* a bootleg.

> I believe this is a legitimate CD edition of the old "Kate Bush Live"
> LP, with three bonus tracks.  They are, as mentioned, live 1988
> recordings of "Running Up That Hill" and "Breathing", and a 1988
> studio version of "This Woman's Work".

There never was a "Kate Bush Live" LP.  The _Live On Stage_ EP had only
four tracks, as opposed to this disc's 12 + 3 bonus tracks, and has
never been released legitimately on CD.  (If it had been, it would have
been on EMI, just like the rest of Kate's catalog.)

> If there is a bootleg edition, it is probably a knock-off of this.  On
> this edition, the sound is quite clear throughout.  I don't know what
> quality it would have on a bootleg.

The sound quality would depend on the source of the recording, and if
dubbed off the newly-remastered laserdisc of _Live At Hammersmith_ the
sound quality of a boot could be just as good as a legit release.  All
three of the bonus tracks in question are available legitimately on CD
either here or in the UK ("Breathing" on the UK COMIC RELIEF disc,
"Running Up That Hill" from THE SECRET POLICEMAN'S THIRD BALL, and
"This Woman's Work" from the SHE'S HAVING A BABY soundtrack).

I'm afraid you *do* own a bootleg, Tim.  (If, knowing that, you're
interested in getting rid of it, let me know. :-)

                                                Lazlo (csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu)
"I could stand and talk about industrialization and men's fashions
 all day long, but work must intrude . . ."