Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Comments on a Kate CD-boot requested

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 8 Jul 89 05:29:14 GMT
Subject: Re: Comments on a Kate CD-boot requested
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

In article <8907080243.AA13991@hop.toad.com> tim@toad.COM (Tim Maroney) writes:

>My question is, is this a bootleg?

It certainly Is a Bootleg

>I have what appears to be a legitimate import edition of this CD.
> [comments about disc deleted]
> "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo that seems to appear on
>almost all compact discs, as well as an AAD marking and a notice that
>"All rights of the producer and of the owner of the work reproduced
>reserved.  Unauthorized copying, hiring, lending, public performance
>and broadcasting of this record prohibited."

Did you happen to notice that there is NO mention of KT on the disc
itself? My copy says "Kathy, Live From Wuthering Heights"

Anyone who manufactures a CD that is up to standards can use the logo,
but then they probably don't really care do they?

Hmmm, re-read that statement again, it doesn't really say anything does it?

"all rights of the producer and of the owner of the work reproduced reserved"

If you have EVER looked at authorized reprints they will have the
source of the recording all over with copyrights and messages about how
the rights to the music are liscensed from EMI or Kate Bush.

The royalties from the "Running Up The Hill" cut are supposed to go
to Amnesty International, and even on "The Secret Policeman's Third
Ball", it is published by Kate Bush Music Ltd Courtesy of EMI Records Ltd.
Good luck on finding any mention of that on the Neutral Zone CD

>There is not a hint of
>amateurism or knock-off about the whole package.  I haven't seen any

Who says that bootlegs have to be amaturisitc? I HAVE seen other CD
bootlegs, they seem to be in much better shape than LP bootlegs I have
seen. All it takes is a coupla bucks to make a negative from a
publicity shot and bingo, there are your "professional" looking
so-called liner notes.  Or hadn't you noticed that the back pictures
were fuzzy and KT has fangs on the top left picture.

>If there is a bootleg edition, it is probably a knock-off of this.  On
>this edition, the sound is quite clear throughout.  I don't know what
>quality it would have on a bootleg.  And finally, I purchased this

Well, the first 12 tracks came from the 'Live at Hammersmith Odeon'
Video, what a good place to get a clean HI-FI master from....

>a store which
>specializes in import CDs, and which does not stock anything that looks
>like bootlegs to me.

Well, guess you have to look more carefully, an address on the disc
does not an official release make. If you go back there again, look for
"Pink Floyd, Bytes of the Talisman", gee, looks familiar doesn't it
hmmm the CD has no mention of Pink Floyd, hmmm the discs says "The
Archetectural Abdabs - One of these Days", gee, weren't they called
that once a looong time ago? Wow, look at that artwork, looks
professional.  Well, look in any book about Pink Floyd, see any mention
of this album?

I have read how you feel on copyrights, I hope that you go out and BUY
the Hammersmith Odeon video, at present, thats the "official" release,
Heck, I bought it, I prefer watching the video. Sorry you got skinned,
this disc is one of the reasons that bootlegs are illegal, people might
think that the release is benifiting the artist, I'll bet that any
profit from this disc don't arrive anywhere near KT.

Any official release will be widely announced, there is no way that an
artist like KT could possibly release an album, even re-issue an album
especially one with "bonus tracks" without publicity.

-Dave Datta