Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Traditions, lingo, jingle-jangle

From: steve@halley.mp3 (Steve Williams)
Date: 8 Jul 89 00:00:15 GMT
Subject: Traditions, lingo, jingle-jangle
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In a recent article, butterworth@MSCF.MED.UPENN.EDU writes:

>In article <730@orbit.UUCP>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>
>> It seems that there are a LOT of Kate Bush fans, talking in KateBushfan-ese.
>> I don't speak the lingo, and I wanna understand what's going on better.  I
>  ...more stuff in the same vein...
>
>So would someone give us amateurs a break and tell us what all this means?
>I can probably figure out Katemas but the KT thing floors me and who started
>all the lingo to begin with?  Is there a place where people can go to share
>collective knowledge/information without pretension?  (I know, I'm asking
>for it...)

This is kind of like talking during church, so let's keep it to a minimum.
Also, discussing everything in clinical detail can have a cooling effect;
let's avoid that as well.

It doesn't take too long to get a feel for things if you read along for a
few weeks.  Mysteries are mysteries, and figuring them out isn't necessarily
supposed to be easy, as IED has pointed out in a different context lately.
(It also helps if you occasionally place your tongue in your cheek as you
read.)

Don't be put off by the insider aspects.  Put HoL on the turntable for
the thousandth time, turn the volume up until you can hear KaTe _Breathing_,
then join right in.  If you feel like KapiTalizing every other letter of the
alphabet, please do so.  Just join in.  Ask questions, offer indefensible
opinions, make flagrantly offensive statements of fact.  As long as you
listen to Kate, it's all acceptable, all welcome.

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve