Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan

From: ll-xn!rochester!moscom!telesci!ashepps@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Anton C Shepps (Tony))
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 89 13:01:20 EDT
Subject: Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: Wed, 5 Jul 89 13:01:20 EDT

In article <8906290314.AA07484@gaffa.mit.edu> you write:
                                                 ...I used to be a
DJ on a major college radio station and we payed nothing to no one.

Well, there are two possibilities:

1.  The ASCAP, BMI, and SECAM licensing fees were paid by the COLLEGE
instead of the radio station as a part of a SITE license.  This is legal.

2.  Your station was breaking the law.   Non-profit, non-commercial,
educational radio statios still have to pay licensing fees.

Note: I would have posted this publicly, but our site's PNEWS has somehow
become fouled!  I don't mind if you re-direct this mailing to r.m.gaffa.

 Tony Shepps ashepps@telesci.uucp    |  "A statesman is a dead politician.
 (...!princeton!telesci!ashepps)     |   Lord knows, we need more statesmen."
  Long on talent, short on fame.     |                        - Opus