Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Playing a Role

From: Douglas MacGowan <MACGOWAN@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 89 15:24:41 PDT
Subject: Playing a Role

To change the subject again, I have noticed (especially in the very
early works of Kate that IED recently transcribed), a very unusual
point of view that seems to show itself in the majority of Kate's
works.  It's so unique that I can't quite think of the right word for
it, but the closest that I can come is "victim."

Not to mean that Kate's persona in her songs are asking for pity or
anything, but there seems to be a genuine feeling of "There's nothing
I can do about this.  I'll just ride it out (sit back and look at the
Big Sky.)"  Maybe thge word is powerlessness.

This is apparent in many of her songs dealing with relationships: she
would run up that hill *if* she could -- the actor can't save himself
in Wow -- Mrs. Houdini stands powerless, watching the magician die --
the girl has no ability to choose what's happening and who she picks
in Canasta.

At the same time, there is no real feeling of anger in much of her
songs.  Revenge is only on her mind in The Wedding List.  Anger is
displayed in GOOMH and, to a smaller degree in Hounds of Love, but
there is also a strong sense of running and hiding in both songs.

In her non-relationship songs, there is a similar feeling of
helplessness -- the fetus in Breathing, the child in Cloudbusting, the
stalked in Hammer Horror.

Anyway, I have just been listening to a long stretch of Kate's works,
and this thought came to me.  I know Kate is pretty infamous for her
lack of anger, and it really seems to come through in her material.  I
find it just adds to the genius of Kate that she can make songs about
kinds of powerlessness so strong.

Thought I'd pass my thoughts on for comments...

Douglas MacGowan
MACGOWAN@SRI-NIC.ARPA

"Four years is a long time to wait..."
-------