Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan

From: arc!ken@apple.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 21:50:43 PDT
Subject: Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hello,

	I haven't had time to read gaffa for a couple of weeks, so I
spent the last hour or two with the issues and people's opinions
thereof.  Here are my thoughts:

	You are Kate Bush fans.

	Kate Bush's private recordings were stolen from her.

	She has said that she doesn't want anyone to listen to them.

	You're not much of a fan if you wouldn't obey her wishes.

	I can't see why this isn't the whole story (sorry - no
wordplay intended!).  I really disagree with Robert Kelner; if she
hasn't released these tapes, then it is exactly the same as publishing
her private diaries.

        As far as the "I've got to hear more Kate stuff" argument
goes, What happens after you've heard this material as many times as
her albums?  Are you going to break into her house and steal any tape
you can?  Why not just consider that the body of work she has released
is her statement - as she intends it - and leave it at that?  Is it
not PerfeKT?  Even the idea of unreleased bootlegs seems to me to be
particularly at odds with the sort of careful studio work that she
does; I can't possibly imagine wanting to hear any of the outtakes
from her albums, either.

	It's amazing to me that people seem more interested in hearing
this unpolished stuff than hearing her new album as soon as possible.

	Maybe for her birthday, Kate Bush would like to receive a big
stack of bootlegs that everyone had mailed back to her.

	Just to back up my words with actions, I'm going to listen to
"Hounds of Love" on the way home tonight (the EMI tape).
--
                                      - Ken
Reply to : apple!arc!ken         \ Disclaimer: All the above is solely