Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 23:14:32 EDT
Subject: Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

>> [|>oug:] If you copyright a piece of music, you must allow it
>> to be played on non-profit radio, where you get no royalties and
>> where any listener can legally copy the work off of the airwaves
>> and listen to as much as they want to, without you receiving a
>> cent.

> [William Watson:] This is not the case, at least in the US.
> Non-commercial radio stations pay fees to ASCAP and BMI, just like
> commercial stations, restaraunts, and clubs.  You will not get
> anything from the listeners, though.

Wrongo!  I can't speak for all non-profit stations, since there may be
different classifications of non-profit stations, but I used to be a
DJ on a major college radio station and we payed nothing to no one.
No royalties were received by anyone for anything we played on the
air.  This was certainly legal and intended by the copyright law and
the FCC.