Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan

From: tynor%pyr@gatech.edu (Steve Tynor)
Date: 27 Jun 89 21:35:21 GMT
Subject: Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8906272103.AA05983@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>What will Kate really lose out of this?  The truth of the matter is
>that it might cause her some discomfort.  She may very well not like
>to think that people are listening to her immature work by which she
>is embarrased.  She has stated repeatedly in the past that she doesn't
>want people to hear her work until it is perfect.  This would be

I remember reading an interview (sorry, can't remember where) where she stated
that she dislikes TKI album and would love to rerecord the material (at
least the vocals - since it was her 1st album, she had little control over
its production); I can just imagine how she feels about the demos.

>What will those who get a copy of this tape gain?  A large percentage
>are likely to gain hours, days, weeks, or even years of intense enjoyment
>and enligthenment from this tape.  So, which weighs heavier on the scale
>when considering the common good?  A modicum of displeasure for Kate
>or intense pleasure and enlightenment for hundreds of people?  One
>might reasonably argue that the intense pleasure and enlightenment
>times several hundred weighs more and that distributing the tape
>causes the greatest common good.

I like this argument! I no longer feel sqeamish about sending my $$ to IED.

>  |>oug

Virtue is its own punishment.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute