Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK... & Re: KuesTion of EThiKs

From: John Precedo <jp@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Date: 23 Jun 89 07:48:52 GMT
Subject: MisK... & Re: KuesTion of EThiKs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: jp@doc.imperial.ac.uk
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

If recieving the _ObsKuriTies II_ tape would offend some people, then
fine, nobody's forcing them to recieve it.

If (other) people want to hear this tape, that's where the problems start...
If there are no copyright problems (who wants IED prosecuted anyway?),
then it comes down to ethics. Consider these two scenarios, if you will:
 1. Sharks are selling copies of this tape to any KT fan who can track them
    down, and at vast prices too. Perhaps they are selling copies of copies
    (of copies of copies....).
 2. One individual Love-Hound has decided to distribute copies of this tape
    for no profit to anyone who can be bothered to contact him.(Thanks IED!)
Now I don't know about you folks, but I know who I support in this! At least
IED is honest about it, and not just out for a fast buck. Individual fans
can do just about anything they want if it doesn't damage anyone, especially
not Kate. But, remember this, THESE TAPES ARE AVAILABLE ANYWAY, although
perhaps to a smaller collection of Love-Hounds.

As to IED's assertions that ALL art has an emotional "message", I disagree.
I think that there is definately SOME music that has "only" an intellectual
content, it is only designed to make you think, not feel. I know, that on
the odd occasion that I am inspired to write poetry, some of it is emotional
but some pieces are purely intellectual. Of course, the beauty of KaTe's
work is that it IS both intellectual and emotional. Depending on how I feel
I have found it soothing and relaxing, pleasant background music for
holding conversations to, something good to listen to ar a definite
challenge. Truly, KaTe's music is a varied as the performer who produced it!

Now I've said my piece. IED - please PLEASE will you continue with this project
'cos I don't know how else I'll ever get this tape :-}

 - John

John Precedo						JANET:jp@doc.ic.ac.uk
Dept. of Computing,
Huxley Building,       This system goes up and down like a whore's drawers!
Imperial College,     "We don't have tape-drives around here,son. They're
London SW7	              vicious tape-eating machines."