Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Lyricless CD's ...

From: Mark Anderson <manderso@ugly.cs.ubc.ca>
Date: 14 Jun 89 11:11 -0700
Subject: Re: The Lyricless CD's ...

[I will ask IED to ignore this message, since he's probably addressed these
points before...  As for the Love-Hounds archives, my ftp just laughs at me
when I try to connect to anything not within walking distance.]

In <8906140210.AA29111@blblbl.UUCP>, Larry DeLuca writes about EMI/Manhatten,
EMI-America, and the EMI Treasury Series fiasco.

In our local record stores I have seen many varieties of Kate Bush CDs.
For example, I have seen three different kinds of external packaging:

	o The clear plastic "try to open me and I'll slice your finger"
	  hermetically sealed type (Hounds of Love, Never for Ever).

	o The black or white cardboard box with album-specific artwork
	  (i.e. the title and the album covers) (Never for Ever, The Dreaming,
	  Hounds of Love, The Whole Story).

	o The generic cardboard "frame"-type box with "EMI Treasury Series"
	  on it (The Kick Inside, Lionheart).

I bought both _The Whole Story_ and _The Dreaming_ in cardboard-box type
packaging.  _TWS_ had a complete booklet, _TD_ did not.  I bought _HoL_
in the plastic hermetically sealed type packaging, with complete insert
booklet.  (With this kind of package, you can *see* how big the booklet is.)

I am trying to avoid the Treasury series type packaged CDs, because they
*look* cheap.  However, from the external packaging, my copy of _TD_
looked as if it would be ok.  The cardboard boxes don't look cheap.

Incidentally, my _HoL_ CD was "made in Japan" (the disc itself).
Is this quite ordinary?  Both my _HOL_ and _TD_ were made in the States.
And in the stores I saw a copy of _Never for Ever_ (in the plastic package)
that was made in West Germany.

Do either of these criteria (type of external package, place of disc
manufature) have any bearing on whether the booklet will be complete, or
indeed on the sound quality?  Perhaps other Love-Hounds could advise?
---
Mark Anderson <manderso@ugly.cs.ubc.ca>
{att!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!ubc-ugly!manderso