Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Lyricless CD's ...

From: henrik@blblbl.UUCP (Larry DeLuca)
Date: 14 Jun 89 02:10:42 EDT (Wed)
Subject: The Lyricless CD's ...

Unfortunately, y'all are victims of a sleazy and insidious plot by EMI/Manhattan
known only by its code name - "The Treasury Series".  EMI-America used to
press all the Kate Bush albums here, and these included complete lyric stuff
just like the British imports.  Well, after some restructuring (which, I
believe, had something to do with the fact that she's recently signed with
CBS for distribution in the US, since I first started noticing this
phenomenon after that point), EMI/Manhattan (presumably a different division)
took over pressing, lowered the prices of the albums and CD's considerably
(I saw _Lionheart_ as cheap as $7.99, and _The Dreaming_ for $8.99), but
was suspicious when I noticed the cheaper packaging.  They also screwed
up the print runs on the graphics and printed everything way too dark.

Anyway, I found out about all this unpleasantness firsthand when I had to
replace my entire Kate Bush Collection (save _Never For Ever_ and _The
Kick Inside_) when my car was broken into and they were stolen.  It had
already been a bad day, and scoring a _Hounds of Love_ with no lyric sheet
was the crowning blow (when I asked if they could ask one of their other
stores if they had the EMI-America version, they gave me the number and
pointed me toward a payphone, but couldn't make change for my dollar to
allow me to make the call - the MIT Newbury Comics did not win my appreciation
on my first visit).  After searching about 15 stores, I came across one
EMI-America version - they're becoming increasingly hard to find.

Buy up while you still can!

					larry...