Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Joy Division/New Order groove messages & original titles

From: Mike Machnik <mike_m@apollo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 89 15:38:14 EDT
Subject: Joy Division/New Order groove messages & original titles

    This is a list of original titles from Joy Division & New Order (the
    ones I know of).  Many JD songs started out with different titles
    (Incubation & A Means To An End even switched titles at one
    point).  Perhaps the biggest flap occurred over Decades; one reviewer
    had received a cassette copy of the LP (Closer) prior to its release
    on which Decades was named Cross of Iron.  When the LP was released
    after Ian's death, it looked as if the title had been changed to
    remove any connection between Ian & Christ (also because of the
    Nazi rumors - Iron Cross).  Actually, the renaming had taken place
    prior to Ian's death, according to the book _An Ideal For Living_.

    Joy Division
            Decades - Cross of Iron
            Incubation - Cross of Iron
            Incubation - A Means To An End
            A Means To An End - Incubation

    New Order
            Chosen Time - Death Rattle
            Denial - Little Dead
            Doubts Even Here - Tiny Tim
            Hurt - Cramp
            In A Lonely Place - Little Boy
            Temptation - Taboo No. 7
            Power, Corruption & Lies (LP) - How Does It Feel
            Your Silent Face - KW-1 (Kraftwerk 1)
            Ultraviolence - Who Killed My Father
            Leave Me Alone - Only the Lonely

    Following is a list of the inner groove messages that appear on the JD
    and early NO records.  I believe the catalog numbers and release dates
    are mostly correct (U.K. unless noted).

    Joy Division Run-off Groove Messages

    _An Ideal For Living_ (EP) Anonymous Records (ANON1), Oct 78
            Songs: Warsaw, No Love Lost, Leaders of Men, Failures