Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Phase II

From: arc!ken@apple.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 89 17:06:03 PDT
Subject: Re: Phase II
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

        First, I would like to request that Jeff Adams also post a
listing of all artists that receive even one 9 or 10 rating; I am
interested in checking out anything that gaffa-ites think is really
worthwhile.

	In fact, I have already decided to make an effort to hear "The
Smiths".  (I already have some Simple Minds albums.)

In article <6894@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>Really-From: rael@cbnews.ATT.COM (c.daniel.vanevic)
>
>  I disagree.  I gave "Duran Duran" a 2 and I think they deserve it.  I didn't
>like them when they were "hip" and their later work just re-enforced my
>belief ("oh rio, rio, dance across the rio grande" :-( ).

        I would like to thank this fellow, he makes two points for me
- although the first one inadvertently I am sure.  I've had MTV since
it became available, and I had exactly this opinion of Duran Duran.
Then, I actually heard the "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" album all the
way through, and realized that my opinion was based on a reaction to
appearances.  (Notice the negative connotation above in the use of the
word "hip".)  Actually that album has many qualities in common with
"The Dreaming" (not the least of which is a uniformly high standard
for the material, relative to other albums by the artist).  [Also the
lyrics are more sophisticated than their early stuff, such as Rio.]

>I do think that giving CSN&Y a "0" is a
>bit radical, but hey ... they're not my appendages!  I'm kind of surprised
>as to how many people seem to really turn hard on groups they used to like.
>For example, I used to love "YES" (I mean like ... Steve Howe was GOD!).
>Now I don't care for them as much (it's been well over a year since I've
>listened to "Close To The Edge" ;-) ), but I wouldn't rate them with a "0" ...
>4 to 6 is more like it.  People (and Groups) change.  I think it is a bit
>hypocritical to say that "I liked them then, but now <that I am cooler>
>I hate them".  Kate has evolved and (apparently) wouldn't like to have her
>older demo/private recordings released.  That doesn't mean that the earlier
>stuff was bad ... it's just somewhat out of date.

	Exactly my reaction.

In article <8905231040.AA22218@erik.UUCP> you write:
>Really-From: ircam!kato@uunet.UU.NET (John Kitamura)
>
>Well, IMHO Fripp is quickly losing his integrity, judging by the hour of
>techno-pop he and Toyah played here last month. Perhaps the show was
>under-rehearsed, but I think it will be a long time before we see anything
>like _Exposure_ again.

        Actually, he seems to be doing both sorts of music (he does
have to compromise now that he is married!).  A few months back I saw
him at a League of Crafty Guitarists show.  It was the farthest
possible thing from techno-pop - a large group of acoustic guitarists
playing together as an orchestra.  Actually, he is doing a lot of good
for avante-garde music, because he is actively teaching other people
how to do it.

	Re: the demise of ZTT

        Within the last year, I saw a Greg Stumps ski movie/video [his
1988 release], where the entire soundtrack was sort of a sampler of
ZTT artists.  I think ZTT-lovers will enjoy the movie.  It would seem
to indicate that they are not quite defunct yet.
--
                                      - Ken
Reply to : apple!arc!ken         \ Disclaimer: All the above is solely