Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Phase II

From: rael@cbnews.ATT.COM (c.daniel.vanevic)
Date: 25 May 89 20:35:50 GMT
Subject: Re: Phase II
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hi everyone,

   I filled in my reply to the survey and noticed a couple of (IMHO)
significant ommissions from the list:

Flash And The Pan: 7
The Call: 7

   I feel that the above groups should have made it to the list, unfortunately
I was a little behind on my net reading when the request came along.  My
personal rating is shown above.  Perhaps if you really like them, detest them,
or feel that they should be included in the list, you could write them in
along with your survey response ( ... I hope adams@XYZ doesn't get really
mad at me for making the suggestion).

   Also:

In article <8905232039.AA15033@sparcy.arc.UUCP>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>         I think the Phase II compiler should throw out scores below 4;
> being really opposed to some art form is either a posture or it means
> that you don't really understand it.  [4 is what you might give
> something that you thoroughly understand, but find mediocre (given the
> implications for one's appendages of a zero!).]

  I disagree.  I gave "Duran Duran" a 2 and I think they deserve it.  I didn't
like them when they were "hip" and their later work just re-enforced my
belief ("oh rio, rio, dance across the rio grande" :-( ).  I would rather
not have my opinion thrown out.  I do think that giving CSN&Y a "0" is a
bit radical, but hey ... they're not my appendages!  I'm kind of surprised
as to how many people seem to really turn hard on groups they used to like.
For example, I used to love "YES" (I mean like ... Steve Howe was GOD!).
Now I don't care for them as much (it's been well over a year since I've
listened to "Close To The Edge" ;-) ), but I wouldn't rate them with a "0" ...
4 to 6 is more like it.  People (and Groups) change.  I think it is a bit
hypocritical to say that "I liked them then, but now <that I am cooler>
I hate them".  Kate has evolved and (apparently) wouldn't like to have her
older demo/private recordings released.  That doesn't mean that the earlier
stuff was bad ... it's just somewhat out of date.

					Just my opinions,

					Dan Vanevic
					rael@cbnews.ATT.COM

"The red balloon was flying high watching the weather
 Captain Black was trying hard to  keep it together
 Familiar names came into his brain:
 a rocket from China, a Russian plane
 He pressed to wrong button
 and soon there'll be no place left called
 California"