Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Serious vs. Serious

From: relph@presto.ig.com (John M. Relph)
Date: 25 May 89 04:15:53 GMT
Subject: Re: Serious vs. Serious
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

John Kitamura (ircam!kato@uunet.UU.NET) sez:
>Ken Stuart (arc!ken@apple.com) sez:
>>... Fripp,Rundgren ... are good examples of the 'vice versa' being true since
>>they obviously still have artistic integrity ...
>
>Well, IMHO Fripp is quickly losing his integrity, judging by the hour of
>techno-pop he and Toyah played here last month. Perhaps the show was
>under-rehearsed, but I think it will be a long time before we see anything
>like _Exposure_ again.

I think you are defining "integrity" incorrectly.  "Integrity" has
nothing to do with "taste".  If you liked _Exposure_ more than Fripp's
recent "techno-pop", that's taste.  If Fripp is doing "techno-pop",
it's because he wants to do it, and his integrity is measured by the
amount and quality of effort he puts into it.  If you think he was not
putting a sufficient amount of quality effort into their music, then I
can understand your feeling that he is losing his integrity.
Remember, integrity is not measured by how much you like or dislike an
artist's music, clothing, or stage presence, but by how much that
artist sticks to their own values.  Perhaps you have misunderstood
Fripp's code of ethics?

	-- John
--
The swastika and the hammer and symbol
Are sickles that reap only weeds  -- XTC