Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

good sounding boots

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Tue, 23 May 89 12:56:55 EDT
Subject: good sounding boots

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
>  Didn't she ever do a BBC or King Biscuit show that could be
> found on bootleg?

IN a word, NO.  However, if you want to hear her live (although it's
not an extremely worthwhile pursuit as _most_ of her songs are best on
album - there are exceptions, noted below...), you should check out
the "Live At Hammersmith Odeon" videotape or for ultra-spiffy sound,
the newly-remastered Japanese videodisc.  It's only part of her Tour
Of Life show, but the sound quality is terrific, as it is a professionally
done thing.  Also, there is (was) an official live EP called "Kate Bush
On Stage" which had 4 songs on it.  And there is a live track on the
self-titled EP (the one with the cover from the "Babooshka" video).

Personally, I don't think most of her songs are particularly stunning
live, but there are exceptions: my personal favorite has to be "James And
The Cold Gun" (the version found on the "On Stage" EP and Babooshka-
cover EP).  To put it in simple terms, IT KICKS ASS!  From the Hammersmith
show, "Moving" and "Feel It" are pretty good, and "Violin" is worth
hearing because the lyrics are different.  I dunno, I suppose IED will
bust my chops for daring to say that anything Kate is sub-standard, but
these are the facts, IMPO (in my pompous opinion)...

 !   !\             BITNET: jsd@umass
\!on !/rukman      ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"Gimmee big mac, fries to go..." -- Pop Will Eat Itself