Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Chameleons/The Sun and The Moon

From: Mitch%UMASS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (The lights are out and no one's home.)
Date: Sat, 20 May 89 13:09:19 EDT
Subject: The Chameleons/The Sun and The Moon

Well, interesting finds in the local shoppe. I am a huge fan of the
Chameleons, and whenever I go records shopping, I always casually scan
their bin expecting to find nothing. Not this time! Years ago, I had heard
of something called 'The Fan and The Bellows' by the Chameleons, but had
NEVER seen it in my years of searching. It's from '86 and has just been
re-released. It contains material the Chameleons recorded well before
their first album, 'Script of the Bridge' and it's wonderful. The title
track is powerful, their are a couple of classic tracks (which were
later included on the 'What does anything mean? Basically' CD) called
'Nostalgia' and 'In Shreds', plus a host of other tracks from '81.
So that was incredibly exciting. Then I casually checked the S's for
their new incarnation, The Sun and The Moon. Much to my surprise, their
was a French EP, with 4 tracks I never heard of! The cover has two
chameleons on the cover tracked in a 3D dodecahedron or something, all
rather Echer-esque. The tracks are generally better than what appeared
on their debut album, including a wonderfully biting tune called 'Elected'
Most of the 4 tracks capture the old Chameleons charm and power. The date
on it is '88 and it's called "Alive; Not Dead".

So, I'll ask for the umpteenth time: What happened to the Chameleons? I
heard a rumor a while back that their guitarist/artist Reg died. Is this
true? The Sun and The Moon debut album has a dedication to someone who
passed on, but not Reg. Wot's the deal? And will 'Strange Times' EVER be
released on CD? Sigh...

                                          Mitch

'I turn to the vices...'