Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ZTT records

From: duane@EBay.Sun.COM (Duane Day, I.R. - Applications Development)
Date: Thu, 18 May 89 15:22:28 PDT
Subject: Re: ZTT records

George asks:
[description of Propaganda and AON deleted]
>But
>beyond remixes of the above mentioned, does anyone know
>of other releases from ZTT (preferably on CD)?

Frankie Goes to Hollywood was another ZTT "phenomenon".  I don't know if ZTT
had anything to do with the recent solo releases by FGtH members Holly Johnson
or Paul Rutherford.  The 12" remix of "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" was quite
a producer's disco tour de force for the time.

>Where else has Trevor Horn had his hands?

Well, for one thing, he produced Frankie Goes to Hollywood, so I'd say that's
a rather open-ended question. :-)

He also produced Yes' _91025_, and was briefly a member of Yes, replacing Jon
Anderson as lead vocalist for one album (_Drama_) and tour.  Prior to that,
he was one-half of the Buggles (with Geoff Downes, later of Yes and Asia).
The Buggles were known primarily for their single "Video Killed the Radio
Star"; that's Trevor Horn singing and playing bass, also, I think.  I guess
he also co-produced Yes' _Big Generator_, but I believe he was replaced early
on by another producer.

At one point (_Who's Afraid of the Art Of Noise_), AON was thought by many to
be principally Trevor Horn's band.  The other members have distanced themselves
from him somewhat in interviews since that time.

Isn't publicist Paul Morley an integral part, along with Horn, of the ZTT
machine?