Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself

From: riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley)
Date: 18 May 89 21:03:16 GMT
Subject: Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8905181815.AA01938@arc.UUCP> arc!ken@apple.com (Ken Stuart)
>To continue in reply to <7933@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> (quoted
>above), I am sure that A.V. is also fully aware of the ideas of Zen.

Actually, when I made the comment about "a knowledge of Zen helping",
I wasn't thinking of the artist--I meant that a knowledge of Zen
enhanced the listeners appreciation of Kate's (for instance) indifference
to the limitations of her instruments.  I didn't mean to imply anything
about the knowledge or lack thereof of any of the musicians under
discussion.  Instead, I was just making the fairly banal observation
that someone with a knowledge of Zen might be more receptive to that
characterization of Kate's music.

I agree that I wasn't very clear, leaving myself wide open to
misinterpretation.

While I'm at it, I did (I think) clearly state that that was just my
opinion.  And I didn't name names (besides Kate) because I do agree
that other musicians achieve this same "alchemy", to varying degrees.
I even agree with some of your choices, so there :->.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.