Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself

From: arc!ken@apple.com (Ken Stuart)
Date: Thu, 18 May 89 11:15:46 PDT
Subject: Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I realized last night that I had forgotten a *very* important member
of the list of musicians, besides KB, who "alchemically" create a
whole music with "total indifference to the idea of limitation".  It
is very important because this is another person, besides KB and Peter
Gabriel, who mix a variety of international influences into a coherent
whole.

Of course, I am talking about Andreas Vollenweider.  His "White Winds"
has many similarities to "The Dreaming" studio-production-wise, and
also in terms of a seamless mixing of elements.  The style and content
of the music are totally different, of course, from KB.

By the way, if you haven't heard A.V., you may have a false impression
that this is Windham Hill music.  It is not; it is very upbeat,
rhythmic and intelligent; jazzy but with classical-like changes (just
as KB uses such changes).

And, to convey a complete artistic expression, A.V. even makes the
sculptures pictured on the covers, to give a visual impression of the
feeling of the music.  (I know that Cat Stevens and Joni Mitchell both
did their own cover art previously in the form of paintings).

To continue in reply to <7933@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> (quoted
above), I am sure that A.V. is also fully aware of the ideas of Zen.
--
                                      - Ken
Reply to : apple!arc!ken         \ Disclaimer: All the above is solely