Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hammill, Collins, & Tambura

From: tynor%pyr@gatech.edu (Steve Tynor)
Date: 16 May 89 20:27:04 GMT
Subject: Re: Hammill, Collins, & Tambura
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8905161804.AA04417@thismoment.sun.com> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: duane@Sun.COM (Duane Day, I.R. - Applications Development)
>Re: the review of Trio Bulgarka which mentioned a tambura player - was this
>really a tambura, or might the reviewer have been thinking of either tambour
>(a rather plain drum used in much folk music) or tambourine?  Tambura, as
>I've heard it, applies to the string instrument which supplies the drone
>in classical Indian music (Ravi Shankar, etc.) and I'd be a little surprised
>although not overwhelmed to learn that this instrument was used by Bulgarka.
>Another very good review of this group, by the way - I just was interested
>in clearing up this point...

I probably meant a tambour (it was a large drum, about 2.5 - 3 ft. in
diameter). _BUT_ Bulgarka _does_ have a tambura player too! It looked like
an elongated mandolin (sounded like one too). I'm virtually positive that
the translator called it a tambura - though I don't have a copy of any of
their albums to back this up. Also, it was definately strummed (like a
mandolin) - didn't sound like a typical Indian drone.  maybe we're talking
different things. I dunno. I was struck by how 'eastern' (Indian) the
Bulgarian music sounds - maybe we shouldn't be so suprised that they use
such instrumentation...

Virtue is its own punishment.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute