Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

PG's new one & Musical Incest in Bath :-)

From: duane@Sun.COM (Duane Day, I.R. - Applications Development)
Date: Fri, 5 May 89 11:47:23 PDT
Subject: PG's new one & Musical Incest in Bath :-)

Steve Tynor asks:
>Does anyone happen to know who's drumming on the new PG album? Is Jerry
>Marotta back? (I hope).

Since much of the music is taken from the "Last Temptation of Christ"
soundtrack, I'd assume that the drummers listed in the credits for that
film will also appear on the album.  That included, if memory serves,
Manu Katche (the primary drummer on "So", as well as the latest from Sting,
Joni Mitchell, and Robbie Robertson) and Manny Elias (from Tears for Fears)
as well as one other - I think it was Marotta but I'm less certain of that
than I am of the other two.

For the other music, I'd guess it would most likely be Katche or Elias, but
that's just a guess.  Maybe he'll have Stewart Copeland back to play hi-hat
again...  :-)

Interestingly enough, Marotta also played with Tears for Fears for awhile -
along with Elias.  Marotta played percussion and occasional sax, as documented
on the video "In My Mind's Eye".  He's also credited with "Saxophone
Arrangement" on "The Working Hour", from _Songs from the Big Chair_, and I
think he played drums on one cut..."Shout" or "The Working Hour".

I guess it's not too surprising to have a lot of interaction between the two
most well-known serious rock acts from Bath...

I really enjoyed Marotta with Gabriel, but I'd like to know what Steve and
others have against Manu Katche?  I think he's one of the two best drummers
on the current scene, along with Omar Hakim.