Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

IED's letter re: Juby

From: duane@Sun.COM (Duane Day, I.R. - Applications Development)
Date: Tue, 2 May 89 12:22:02 PDT
Subject: IED's letter re: Juby

Thanks to IED for posting his informative comments on Juby's book.  There
is only one small part of the letter to which I object:

     >Also on Page 130: Mr. Juby twice more refers to passages of
>"strong percussion without cymbals" as clear signs of
>Peter Gabriel's increasing influence. [...]
     >I believe Mr. Juby is struck more by the similarity of _tuning_
>in the two artists' drum-sounds from this period. (He should also have
>acknowledged Phil Collins, the drummer on Gabriel's
>third solo LP, and Hugh Padgham, the engineer, who were certainly
>as instrumental as Gabriel himself in developing the distinctive
>sound in question.)

Two things: first, Collins was not the only drummer on _PGIII_.  Most
of the songs featured Jerry Marotta on drums.  Collins, I believe, only
played on the song "Intruder", which featured the snare drum treated
with gated reverb (resulting in a very abrupt, "un-natural" decay)
which has come to be one of every modern producer's bag of tricks.

Second, regarding the statement that Collins and Padgham were as
instrumental as Gabriel in developing the sound in question - this
contradicts Peter's own comments.  For example, take the following
quote from Armando Gallo's book _Peter Gabriel_:

     "The drum sound on 'Intruder', which you now hear everywhere,
     was originally Hugh Padgham's set-up and he should get credit
     for that.  I took Phil Collins' cymbals away and put some tom-toms
     up because up until that time he played a lot of cymbals.  I
     remember the moment when I first heard that 'gated reverb'.  I
     stopped the session we were working on and said that I wanted to
     record that sound immediately for 'Intruder'.  The others were a
     little taken aback at my enthusiasm but did as I asked.  I was
     certain that it was a 'landmark' drum sound.  Now I get angry
     when people say I have copied Phil's drum sound."

According to this statement, Padgham should get the credit for developing
the sound.  By inference, Peter should get the credit for using it,
specifically on "Intruder", and also for excluding cymbals from this
album.  It is hard to understand how Collins should share equally in the
credit for the gated reverb snare, unless one believes that Peter was pettily
denying him his due - an action that would be completely out of character
for him.

These minor errors on IED's part do not diminish my appreciation of his
efforts in setting the record straight.  Indeed, this correction is offered
in exactly the same spirit.

************************ |UUCP: {hplabs,decwrl,<others>}!sun!thismoment!duane
..but one of the choices | COM: duane%thismoment@sun.com
turns existence into art |ARPA: duane@sun.arpa