Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Misinterpretation

From: duane@Sun.COM (Duane Day, I.R. - Applications Development)
Date: Mon, 1 May 89 14:56:36 PDT
Subject: Misinterpretation

The recent highly entertaining sniping between IED and |>oug reminds me of
one of my most embarrassing moments.  I was talking with the guitarist from
Bourgeois Tagg - a great Sacramento band that, unfortunately, has disbanded -
about one of the songs, "Electric Train", from their first album.  I asked him
if it was about masturbation - since that was my interpretation, and I'd
found many lyric clues which supported that assumption.  He got me together
with the songwriter, who had a hearty guffaw when I asked the same question.
It turned out that the song was a metaphor for the Biblical creation story.
My interpretation was a little off-base.

In my defense, all I can say is that I was listening to too much Prince at
that point... :-)

************************ |UUCP: {hplabs,decwrl,<others>}!sun!thismoment!duane
..but one of the choices | COM: duane%thismoment@sun.com
turns existence into art |ARPA: duane@sun.arpa