Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

King Crimson

From: "ROSSI JOHN" <rossi@nusc.navy.mil>
Date: 12 Apr 89 10:55:00 EDT
Subject: King Crimson

Doug and group,

Wasn't sure how this new mailing address works as far as love-hounds
goes.  Anyway, there is one definative Crimso album which I believe is
still available as an import.  Around 1975-1976 "The Young Person's
Guide to King Crimson" was released.  The most significant thing about
the 2 record set was the liner notes.  There is a full history of the
band, through Fripp's eyes as well as excerpts from reviews of album
and single releases as well as concert performances.  This is the most
comprehensive history of a band I have ever seen accompany a record
set.  The strange thing is that the tale is not always that flattering
to Crimso (explains losses and acquisition of members, etc.).  Also, I
think that the music which is also historically explained in the notes
is the best sample of their music from the period of 1968 (I believe
when they were called Giles, Giles and Fripp) through and including
"Red" (or possibly the "Live USA" album, I'm not sure).  At any rate,
if for nothing other than the lmpressive liner notes, this LP should
be in every serious Crimso fan's collection.

John
ROSSI@NUSC.ARPA