Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Need info on singles

From: Michael Fischer <MFISCHER%SBCCVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 16:19:58 EDT
Subject: Need info on singles

I guess this is mainly directed to IED since he knows it all, but I
thought others might be interested as well...

I was in a record store recently, leaving a $10 deposit so they could
order me the "Live at Hammersmith Odeon" video tape. I figured I'd
look around before I left, even though the store has never had ONE
Kate item. Well, to my surprise, they had a Kate section in the albums
(not CDs). Hmm, there's _TKI_... WHAT'S THAT BEHIND IT!?! A totally
black album cover. "Running Up That Hill" single? For promotional use
only? B-Side "Running Up That Hill - other version" (I forget what it
said exactly). Another record...  "Cloudbusting" with B-Side I can't
remember... I think it was that Cabin Boy song people were talking
about recently. Again, "For Promotional Use Only". Then, a real album
cover. "Experiment IV" single w/ B-Sides of Wuthering Hts, new vocal,
and "December Will Be..." So I bought that one.  I LOVE THE REMIX OF
EXPERIMENT IV! And now I have "December" which I only had Live before.
But what are the other promotional ones? And what's the other _RUTH_?
I checked the times, and I think it was about 30 seconds longer.  They
were $3.99 I *think* so it would be a good buy no matter what...
Probably when I pick up the video tape, if they're still there I'll
spend the $$.  The "Exp. IV" single was $7.99 though. I wasn't happy
about that. I'm gonna be keeping my eye on that store now. It's the
ONLY store I've EVER seen with Non-LP Kate stuff.

  -Mike

- Michael D. Fischer    |    Rivers run uphill                      -
- MFISCHER @ SBCCVM     |   On the dark side of the moon            -
- MIKE88 on DELPHI      |  Mayflies never fly                       -
- GREEN anywhere else   | In the month of June                      -
-                       |                      -- Guadalcanal Diary -

      [	There are three versions of "Running Up That Hill" that I know
	of (not including the live version with David Gilmour): the
	album version, the 12-inch single remix (which is sort of
	more polite -- each instrument comes in one at a time, plays
	for a little bit and then makes way for the next instrument),
	and the "instrumental" version (which still has some vocals).
	The instrumental version is on the 12-inch single, though the
	single you saw sounds nonstandard.  On the B-side of the real
	12-inch is one of Kate's most beautiful and haunting songs of
	all time, "Under The Ivy", a sad and simple piano ballad.
	-- |>oug ]