Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

peter gabriel's new album

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 89 19:45:37 EDT
Subject: peter gabriel's new album

From: Jonathan Lisle Cohen <jc4n+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> With all this talk about when Kate's next album is coming, I got to
> thinking... When is Peter Gabriel's next album due?  Will Kate be on
> it too?

I was in a record store the other day and was mumbling about wanting a
new PG record to my friend when the store owner mentioned that his
"new release guide" listed something, which he promptly produced to
show me.  It said that there is a new album coming out called
"Passion" ( (I may be wrong about the title, memory's fuzzy...) and
the stuff it said below led me to believe that it contains music
tracks from the soundtrack of "Last Temptation Of Christ" but it was
careful to stress that this is NOT the soundtrack album from "LT of
C"... So, you may interpret as you will.  My line of thinking is that
he may have taken the music tracks and made songs out of them?  (hope
hope...)  Since it indicated that there WOULD be a "LT of C"
soundtrack out eventually, and this thing is NOT IT, I got a bit
confused...  Time will tell.

> (But then, Thomas Dolby said the same thing.  Then he made Howard the Duck.
> Then he returned to albums - Buick Eating et al.)

Re: film soundtracks, it apparently is very good money and relatively
easy work, and thus artists like doing them.  Thomas Dolby didn't
"make" Howard The Duck -- he was signed up to score it, and wound up
being dropped from it because the producers wanted a typical John
Williams-ish score.  They kept his pop songs, however.  His other film
soundtrack, "Gothic," was a much better working relationship -- in
some cases, Ken Russel would re-cut the scenes to fit the music,
rather than cutting the music to fit the scenes.  However, as both
films were somewhat of flops, Dolby has vowed to not do any more.
(Yay.)

 !   !\             BITNET: jsd@umass
\!on !/rukman      ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu