Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

For shame!

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 19:33:43 EST
Subject: For shame!
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

Hi there.  Your humble pseudo-moderator has returned from the
beautiful Highlands of Scotland to see that Love-Hounds has sunk to a
new low.  What do I find upon returning, but a hundred messages posted
to the entire mailing list saying "I want one too!".  Haven't any of
you read the netiquette guide?  Or at least have some common sense?
Do you think thousands of people want to read "I want one too"?  Don't
you realize that the cost to send out all of those messages could
probably have paid for every reader of this mailing list to have
several copies of the tape?  Will I ever be able to leave Love-Hounds
on autopilot ever again?

The tape copying administration was also handled pretty shabily,
if you ask me.  I don't know why you didn't just take my advice from
the beginning and go to a tape copying service.  Any city with a music
scene will have several of them.  All you have to do is go to one with
a tape, say I want 100 copies of this tape, and hand them $200, and a
few days later you will have 100 copies.  You can probably even for a
bit extra give them a mailing list, and have them mail a copy to
everyone on the mailing list.  Would this have been so painful?  Would
this have been so complicated?  Does it really take much foresight to
see that the demand for such a rare and precious collection of music
would be large?  I don't think so....

Well, there's no use crying over spilt milk.  I'm sure that when the
remaining volumes of *The Cathy Demos* come out, there will also be
high demand for them.  If I am able to acquire a copy of all the
records, at that time in the future, I will be glad to take orders and
go to a professional tape copying service.  If you plan on not being
on the net in the future time when this may happen, drop me a line
saying that you will want one, and give me your address.  I will send
you a postcard requesting your order should this ever happen.