Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: "Scott A. McIntyre" <gorn!avalon@ucscc.ucsc.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 89 19:15:31 PDT

From: avalon@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Scott A. McIntyre)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: rec.music.import
Date: 16 Apr 89 02:15:30 GMT

I dont know where else to post this other than here.  I don't know the
correct procedure, so someone enlighten me as to how to start a new newsgroup.

Why?  Well, here:

Over the last few months, well, years really, there has been increasing
traffic concerning "bootleg" tapes as well as hard to find import bands,
albums and the like.  I therefore would like to propose, if it has not
already been done, a newsgroup entitled "rec.music.import" for the
discussion of said items.

Since the majority of the USENET traffic is within the United States then
the newsgroup would cover imported bands/albums/bootlegs/paraphenalia (by
this I mean fanzines, clubs, etc) that are perhaps more easily found in the
rest of the World, but in the United States are somewhat awkward or
impossible to find/purchase.

Examples:  Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, And Also The Trees, Clannad,
not to mention Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Sinead O' Connor, Enya...well, you get
the idea.

There is quite a bit of music out there in the world, and perhaps with this
newsgroup, we can better get ahold of it, find out about it, and pass
info along.

Please mail requests/votes/comments/flames to either this address or:
avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu

Thanks!

Scott

--