Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _Cathy_Demos_ distributions

From: scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich)
Date: 15 Apr 89 17:49:41 GMT
Subject: Re: _Cathy_Demos_ distributions
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.odu.edu

In article <UYFZ=my00Vsf4J7XBn@andrew.cmu.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>I don't know where the misunderstanding could have arisen.  Only audio tapes
> are being discussed.  HiFi VCR's are involved only to the point of being a
>reasonably high-quality audio recorder.

Ok, this was my problem.  I'm sorry.  The time lapse when posting to this net
has burned me before.  Also, I respond to letters as I read them... not after
I have read all the letters (57 today...).

>I apparently said something that upset you.  Let me try to clarify myself.
>I said the first time that I wasn't making comments about anyone in
>particular.
>My concerns are twofold:
>
>1) multiple-generation copies of tapes build up tape hiss and distortion.  A
>tree-structured distribution scheme can go arbitrarily deep, and can leave an
>unlucky few with tapes that they may not be able to appreciate because they
>sound so bad.

See my comments above.  I also would not like a cheap copy.  I am glad that
IED has apparently found someone he feels comfortable with to do the dubbing.
I DO have access to some HiTech dubbing equipment, and even after may 8th...
so there will probably be 3rd generation dubbings made for local distribution.

I also just found a local record shop where the owner is a Kate collector.
He showed me some neat stuff with pink marble vinel, grey marble vinyl, red
vinyl and so on.  He said that he saw Kate at a convention in London...
Also, he is looking for the Japanese Seiko watch commercial package...
Personally, I just like the interview picture disks... and he has a bunch of
them!  (and at 8$-$10... I think they are worth it!)

>2) tapes that are carelessly made also sound bad, especially if they are
>   used as masters for yet another generation of tapes.

>If you suspect that a) I am being insulting or b) my motives are selfish, you
>are welcome to do the taping without my help.   It is becoming more and more
>apparent that one person will not be able to cope with the number of requests.

HA!  I have even been faithfully collecting mailing addresses so that I could
send out definite information WHEN I GOT SOME...  Now, I will send what I have
to IED and I will stop collecting names and simply become another SASE.

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]