Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Throwing Muses/Cocteau Twins Discography Request

From: Yary Richard Phillip Hluchan <yh0a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 12:49:10 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Throwing Muses/Cocteau Twins Discography Request

There's  a fairly complete discography with the CD & deluxe LP edition of the 4AD compilation, "Lonely is an Eyesore." I'm not in my room, here's waht I remember:

Cocteau Twins:
Garlands LP  (CD & cass versions have peel sessions & two demos, a must-get)
Lullabies EP (Feather-Oar-Blades, All But an Ark-Lark, one other)
Peppermint Pig EP (Hazel, Peppermint Pig, Laugh Lines)
-- Will Heggie drops out of cocteau twins and forms Lowlife --
Head over Heels LP (My fave. Cass & CD versions contain Sun&Snow EP)
Sunburst & Snowblind EP (Sugur Hiccup, Because of Whirl Jack, two others)
-- Simon Raymonde joins Cocteau Twins --
Spangle Maker EP (Spangle Maker, Pearly-dewdrops drop, From the Flagstones)
Treasure LP (Most people's fave LP)
Akie-Ginu (sp) EP (Akie-Ginu, Quisquose, Rococco, one other.)
Echoes in a Shallow Bay & Tiny Dinamine (2EPS or LP, depending on where you buy)
Victorialand (LP played at 45rpm!)
Love's easy tears EP (Love's...,sigh's smell of farewell, one other song. canadian version has "Appled-Orange" in addition to other three)
Blue Bell Knoll

There's also been a compilation LP(cass,CD) called "The Pink Opaque" which contains all of the excellent Spangle Maker EP, a song they recorded for NME, a
remixed version of "Wax and Wane" from Garlands, and some other songs. Also, they did a song for the Lonely is an Eyesore comp that's not available anywhere else.

Simon Raymonde was absent from "Victorialand." That LP is many people's least favourite, I still think it's pretty neat-o. (BTW, "Head over Heels" & "Vict" may
have the same lineup, but they sound very different)

The acky-ginea EP is also highly recommended
One last thing about Cocteau Twins releases: You may see two songs with the same name on diferrent LPs/EPs-- chances are they're different mixes. (with the exception of the Pink Opaque comp)
This Mortal Coil:

16 Days- Gathering Dust EP
3 songs: 16 days (remake of a modern english song), Song to the Siren (remake of Tim Buckley song, same version as on their 1st LP), 16 Days reprise.
It'll end in tears LP
Cold, dark. Two seven-inch singles are available from this LP, Kangaroo and Song to the Siren--  I know Kangaroo is backed with a version of "it'll end in tears" devoid of vocals-- or at least I think it is--
Come here my love 10"
Limited edition single, contains two songs verbatem from their second LP. Dedicated to long-time 4AD recording artist Michael Allen.
Filigree & Shadow (Double Album)
Fuller sound than their 1st LP. Also 4AD's only double-LP release. You can get this for $9 now.

There's also a TMC song on "Lonely is an eyesore..."

Throwing Muses:
??? EP
 self-released (on the "Blowing Fuses" label) EP (with four songs?)
Throwing Muses LP
 The definitive angst-ridden LP, currently import only
Chains Changed EP
 Contains "Reel", "Finished", "Cry Baby Cry", one other song [if only I was in my room...] Didn't like the first time I heard it, now I think it rocks!
 Fat Skier EP
  A-side has four or five songs, B-side is extended "Sould Soldier"

I'm not familiar with later material (House Tornado & their new one)

The most rockin' Muses song of all time is "Fish", available only on the Eyesore comp! czech it out.

You may also want to subscribe to ext.in.4AD-l, if you can figure out list servers.

-Yary Hluchan (yh0a+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Carnegie Mellon  (<-- don't go here! it bites!)