Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Videos, Guadalcanal Diary

From: Michael Fischer <MFISCHER%SBCCVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 11:02:59 EDT
Subject: Videos, Guadalcanal Diary

   I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with most people about the
Kate videos. I really think the "artsy" ones like _Wuthering_Heights_
and _The_Man_With_etc... are better videos than the "story" ones like
_Hounds_Of_Love_ and _Cloudbusting_. I find that these story ones are
too visually distracting. When watching them, my brain automatically
concentrates more on the complex video, while the song is more of a
background accompanyment. The "artsy" ones seem to enhance the song.
They *are* the song, not an *explanation* of the song, as the story
ones seem to be. It depends on what your idea is of what a video should
be. I think the WH and TMWTCIHE videos add to the music. The others
seem to give the song a lower importance than the visual representation.
I don't know if I'm making any sense, but this is the best way I can
explain it.
   Oh, I really love the video for _The_Big_Sky_ though. I'm not really
sure why... and _Army_Dreamers_. And _Sat_In_Your_Lap_. They seem to be
neither "story" videos OR "artsy" ones. Kate looks like she was having
fun making _Sat_In_Your_Lap_. I really think she enjoyed making that one!

   Anyway, any Guadalcanal Diary fans out there?

  -Mike

- Michael D. Fischer    |    Rivers run uphill                      -
- MFISCHER @ SBCCVM     |   On the dark side of the moon            -
- MIKE88 on DELPHI      |  Mayflies never fly                       -
- GREEN anywhere else   | In the month of June                      -
-                       |                      -- Guadalcanal Diary -